PRISM Step 6 – Action
CLICK HERE FOR YOUTUBE VIDEOS
LET'S DISCUSS COMPLETING A MAJOR STEP
The sixth and final step of the PRISM System involves getting started and completing one of the next major steps, each designed to move closer to achieving a goal in our life vision.
We now have established what is involved in this major step; and we’ve acquired the required resources. So (finally) we’re ready for action!
When we’ve completed this major step, we need to cycle back to Step 4 to select the next major step.
If, during the process of completing the major step, we discover aspects of the goal that we weren’t aware of, then we may need to return to our plan (Step 3) to make adjustments.
If there’ve been any major changes in our world (for example, some technological advance that changes our career options, or a new significant relationship), then we need to re-visit our Life Vision (Step 1).
WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO TO COMPLETE A MAJOR STEP
In order to maintain control over the implementation process, we need to develop an action plan, which should be written down. Now I know for some of us that is far too detailed, and we know we can keep the action plan in our head. If you can, great – but, if you can’t, you have been warned!
The action plan needs to vary in detail – from what needs to be done monthly, to what needs to be done weekly, to what needs to be done daily. The daily portion is a to-do list set up the night before in order of priority. The key to prioritizing is to ensure that we do the important items as well as the urgent items (or the important things never seem to get done).
As we start to implement our action plan, things will not go as we expected (really). Life will happen. People will let us down. Something will be more expensive than we planned for. And, yes, sometime we will miss a deadline because of our own procrastination! Remember Murphy’s Law that says “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.”
The keys to success in this Action Step are acceptance, flexibility, and perseverance – all while maintaining a positive attitude:
– Accept that there are some things that we can do nothing about, and that we cannot control other people’s actions.
– Be flexible and adjust to whatever new reality we face.
– Persevere, which just means keep going.
That does not mean that we give up control of our action plan, just that we need to modify it, and keep going until it is complete.
QUOTES ABOUT ACTION THAT MAY MAKE YOU THINK
Here are some quotes about action that might be helpful. (Most of these quotes and the others for specific mindsets below are extracted from Dr. Mardy Grothe’s website.)
* It matters not what goal you seek/Its secret here reposes:/You’ve got to dig from week to week/To get Results or Roses. (Edgar Guest)
* There is only one proof of ability—action. (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
* Know what you want to do, hold the thought firmly, and do every day what should be done, and every sunset will see you that much nearer the goal. (Elbert Hubbard)
* This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play. (Unknown)
* Inaction breeds doubt and fear, action breeds confidence and courage, if you want to conquer fear do not sit home and think about it, go out and get busy. (Dale Carnegie)
* Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
* To know and not to do is not to know. (Casey Combden)
Note that the references that you will find throughout the description of the PRISM System are not intended to be exhaustive – just enough to get you started on the subject matter. (Both articles and videos are included to acknowledge that people learn in different ways,) If you encounter a particularly noteworthy reference, please do send us a comment with the details.